Sunday, July 4, 2010

Some Enchanted Evening

I know, I know, putting two blogs together within a week is not a big deal for the average person, but I'm on a roll.

When I first moved to Kobe, the first few days after I had been left alone to settle in, I had a difficult time figuring out what to do to fill my time. I hadn't met anyone, classes wouldn't begin for another week, and it got lonely even though I spent considerable time with my family and a couple friends on Skype. I remember even bookmarking a website for ways to combat loneliness (which I later deleted so that someone using my computer wouldn't think I needed loneliness advice so much that I favorited a website for it).

Anyway, one of the first memories I made here was going to walk alongside the bay to see the Akashi Bridge. In high school, I did a report on the bridge (the longest suspension bridge in the world), and it was exciting that I was going to be living about a 15 or 20-minute walk away. The first time I went, it was early evening and I walked westward toward the bridge as the sun began to set. I remember the way the clouds changed shades and the sky changed color, eventually fading to black. Mostly, though, I remember thinking about the sunsets I spent with friends and family back in America.

Since that evening, whenever I happen to notice the sun setting I consciously devote a few seconds to remembering that, even if only in my memories, I never need to feel alone. I also try to bookmark that new moment so that in the future, the sunsets I see radiate with new memories I have made and am making here in Japan. Incidentally, it's a bookmark I don't feel ashamed to have people see.

Earlier this evening, I headed down, as I have quite a few times, to watch the same sunset that I saw when I first arrived in Kobe, but this time I had my video camera...


Now, I have a way to bookmark the sunset and share the memory. I hope for many more sunsets to come. If you're reading or watching this, let me know what sparks memories or helps you when you feel alone.

Peace.

As before, if you want to see something in particular or want an explanation of some part of Japanese culture, missionary life, etc., just leave a comment letting me know.


3 comments:

millie kate said...

I love this video! This was one of my favorite spots in Kobe too. I would sit on the beach and sing along with my iPod, mostly ignoring the feeling that someone would be wondering what the weirdo gaijin was doing. :) Glad to see you back to the blog! Are you gonna be back in Anderson at all this summer?

Ty said...

Thanks! And yes, I'll be back in Anderson for a bit this summer. I'm spending most of my time with my family in Ohio, but I'll be heading over to Indiana in the middle of August.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this video it was gorgeous! Nice work! When I think of what reminds me or memories I think of looking up at the moon and stars and thinking of all the people around the globe who are also looking at the moon at the same time! So special. Thought of you this weekend and lots of college adventures. Laura got married and it had me reminiscing about so many fun "family" times! I know you will be so busy when you are back in the States but let me know if there is an afternoon where I can drive up and we can get coffee! Love ya friend. Praying for you.
~G